The University of Pavia is among the oldest universities in the world. It was established in 1361 and then has become one of the prestigious universities in Italy and Europe. Although the first purpose of the University focused on law studies in 825 A.D., the University has begun to offer many different programs and improve their quality of education after 1361. Nowadays, the University includes 9 different faculties with approximately 24.000 students. The campus is divided all over the city.
Significantly, the Medicine and Surgery program at the University of Pavia offers medical students the San Mateo Medical Center facilities among Italy’s most famous and advanced research hospitals.
Location of the University of Pavia
The University is located in a small and charming city called Pavia, in the Lombardy region of northern Italy. The city has a 72.000 population and is really close to Milano. Lombardy is the wealthiest region of Italy. Although Pavia is a small city, several high-quality shops and events make the city worth living in.
The Famous People Graduated from The University of Pavia
The university’s quality and prestige also come from its famous alumnus who has contributed to science and world heritage all over the years. The university’s most famous alumni are probably Camillo Golgi, who won the Nobel prize in 1906 by discovering Golgi Apparatus.
The discovery of the volta battery was also achieved by another famous person who graduated from the University of Pavia, Allesandro Volta.
The Harvey Medicine and Surgery Course
The Harvey Medical Course offered by the University of Pavia is indeed an exceptional school that stands out among all universities. Despite being the first of its kind in Italy, its teaching standards still serve as a model for other medical schools. The Medical Faculty founded in 1361 at the center of Pavia has still successfully retained its legacy. It offers the Harvey course, a complete curriculum that has been practiced by medicine for over 500 years. This system provides students with a solid background. Also, it is the first medical program in Italy that offers medical education in English.
The Faculty of Medicine of Pavia consists of many teaching professors, scientists, and clinicians who constantly follow the leading developments and up-to-date information in the Medical Field. Professor of pathology course, Dr. Gherardi (Immunology), has 20 years of teaching experience in Cambridge before coming to Pavia.
Medical education at the University of Pavia lasts 6 years. A single exam in English is valid for admission; International Medical Admission Test (IMAT).
The Motto of the University of Pavia Medical school is translated as ’’We train students not only as a professional doctor or surgeon but also as a scientist and doctor of the future “.This is absolutely right, and with the long list of their alumni, it’s crystal clear that they have been complimenting their motto over the years.
Pavia’s medical school has its degree divided into 12 semesters, and each semester averagely runs for the duration of 12 to 14 weeks each.
- 1. semester: Living Molecules and Science Foundation of Medicine
- 2. semester: Structure of the body, Ultrasound Laboratory, The Disabled Person and Social Roots of Health
- 1. semester: Functions of the Body, and Ethics and Society
- 2. semester: Biology of Disease, Laboratory Medicine and Microbiology
- 1. semester: Clinical Foundations, Systemic Pathology, Drug Discovery and Actions, Evolution in Medicine
- 2. semester: Disease Control and Eradication, Clinical Foundations Practicals, Blood Diseases, Diseases of Endocrine System and Metabolism, Precision Medicine, The Disabled Patients, Nanotechnologies in Medicine.
- 1. semester: Neurological and Psychiatric Diseases, Heart and Lungs and Sensory System Diseases
- 2. semester: Soft Tissue Diseases, Gi and Urinary Tracts, Clinical Cases 4th year
- 1. semester: Childhood and Woman Health, General Surgery I
- 2. semester: Clinical Cases 5th Year, General Surgery II, Clinical Pharmacology, Genetics & Pathology
- 1. semester: Clinical Medicine
- 2. semester: Thesis, Students Presentation of Scientific Papers, Practicals in Degree Thesis Subject, Practical Evaluative Traineeship in General Practice
Tuition fees vary according to family income and country of origin. There is a flat rate for international students (from extra-EU countries) to pay in 4 installments. The variable fee is determined on an individual basis according to each student’s financial situation.
Please note that other expenses like textbooks, teaching material, accommodation rents, etc., are not included in the annual university tuition fees.
You can look at our “Tuition Fee for Medical School in Italy” article for detailed information.
You can look at our “Admission Requirements for Medical Schools in Italy” article for detailed information.
Student’s Life in Pavia
You can look at our “Student’s Life in Pavia” article for detailed information.