The local Studiorum Universitas was officially founded by Pope Paolo III in November 1548, but the city of Strait, in addition to an ancient cultural tradition, XIII. At the end of the century, he had a teaching tradition attached to a law school and a famous Greek school. XV century. However, Athenaeum’s regular work activity, in the meantime, was paralyzed by disagreements with the Jesuits in order to prevent the entire island from controlling their monopoly on Universities. Actually, it only started in 1596. It was the beginning of an intense existence in 1678 when Athenaeum was closed as a result of the anti-Spanish uprisings.
The University of Messina, which was closely connected to the city during these years, represented the most emblematic political and cultural expression and reached high levels, including Giovanni Alfonso Borelli, Pietro Castelli, Giovan Battista Cortesi, Carlo Fracassati, Giacomo Gallo, Mario Giurba and Marcello Malpighi. and Francesco Maurolico among lecturers. After a long period of advanced work at the advanced Carolina local academy, Athenaeum went on to visit King II in 1838. Returned by Ferdinando. In 1847, it was closed again because of the city’s anti-proton rebellion. Two years later, it reopened but restricted the enrollment of students from Calabria and other Sicilian states. Considering Athenaeum’s student composition, this was a serious precaution. In 1862, the University of Messina was dropped to the second-grade Athenaeum, and in 1885 it was awarded the first-class Athenaeum by the Provincial Council, the Town Hall and the Chamber of Commerce and Arts. The students from Calabria were not very much and the average student enrolled between 1890 and 1908 ranged from 650 to 700 units. The university included reputable and respected professors such as Pietro Bonfante, Leonardo Coviello, Vittorio Martinetti, Vittorio Emanuele Orlando, Giovanni Pascoli and Gaetano Salvemini. However, many have expressed their wishes to leave Athenaeum. it made every profitable and serious scientific work difficult, as soon as possible, due to the lack of facilities and facilities. ‘’ The 1908 earthquake made the situation worse. Four of the forty-nine lecturers died in the ruins, many of the libraries and scientific facilities were destroyed. On this occasion, it seemed to be an opportunity to shut down the Peloritans University, which was considered useless and expensive, and replace it with professional and commercial secondary schools. The debate was very warm and continued in October 1909, when the Faculty of Law was reopened. The resumption was quick and the rector Giovanni Maria Rizzo, who started the 1911-1912 academic year, stated that although the building’s dangerous conditions were unsafe, courses were regularly held and registered students were teaching. 219.190 to the Faculty of Law, 29 people attended the Faculty of Literature and Philosophy. Between 1914 and 1915, the Faculty of Science, Pharmacy and Medicine were reopened among the outstanding debates. Between 1919 and 1920, all courses of the Faculty of Medicine were held, thanks to local institutions that approved the establishment of a consortium governing the Civil Hospital, where clinics had a temporary position. In the same year, the University of Messina proved that the dynamism that received the Athenaeum title of the Bosphorus was recovered; A total of 1,221 students: from the provincial capital’s 508 native and other Sicilian provinces and from Calabria, 713. In 1922, President Rizzo undertook a serious task to prevent the fusion proposed by the fascist regime at the University of Catania. Until then, Athenaeum strengthened its buildings, and thanks to the rectors Gaetano Martino and Salvatore Pugliatti, he overcame the process of reconstruction after the war and played a major role in the country’s cultural activities.